STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING! READ THE ABOVE ARTICLE!
Okay, now that you know WHAT the CrossFit OPEN is, we can answer the WHY you should sign up to be a part of your ONE Nation gym team.
1. Community – You will get a chance to get to know your home gym community better. You will meet people from other classes who you don’t get to see. Sometimes when you become a habitual 5:30AM go’er or 6:30 PM, you are not aware there is a whole other group of people who suffer the way you do on a daily basis.
2. Discover a New Gear – I may be way out of my comfort zone on this car analogy, but slap the word “Open” on any workout, and every single person in the room goes faster. You truly get to discover a new intensity and speed working out that you KNOW you don’t access in class as much as you could. With a judge cheering you on, a goal to achieve, and a feeling of unity pushing you as you do the same thing the rest of the CrossFit community is doing, you bring the pain hard!
3. The Chance to Try – The Open is a sneaky strong suggestion throughout 5 workouts. Have you tried a pull up recently? Have you gone for a max snatch? Have you been wanting that bar muscle up for years? Are you going RX in all of the WODS this year? Is this your first time participating? Welp, here we go…
4.. New goals – The Open is something many have based their yearly goals off of. They found a movement that pushed them on a weekly basis to work on for the next Open. The motivation factor in classes started to be “I want to practice Chest to Bar pull-ups today so I can do them in the Open”. It’s a 5-week, worldwide competition, but it’s in the back of your mind the remainder of the year.
5. Memories – The memories that have come out The Open are priceless. I have been a part of it since Day 1, WOD 1, and cannot tell you how cool it is to look back from year 1 to now. The experience alone is scary, challenging, and exciting all at the same time forcing you to get out of your comfort zone and make some memories. This could be from judging someone, watching someone, or accomplishing something yourself. I can name several memories that had nothing to do with me but watching my best friend put a 95# bar over her head for the first time. It gives me chills!
6. Community – I am aware this is in here twice. But it’s for a good reason! We have not one, not two, but THREE communities to compete in The Open with!! This is unique in the CF community and we must take advantage. Of course, we are going to make this a competition (duh!) so this is a chance to represent your home gym and meet your fellow ONE Nation athletes. We are one community in three gyms and this is a rare chance to embrace it. Boston vs. Needham vs. Waltham. Who is the fittest ONE Nation?
7. FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS! – The workouts will be programmed every Friday for the REGULAR CLASS WOD. But if you want to really feel The Open, you will attend or participate in FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS! We get together at one of our three gyms and throw down on Friday night for 5 weeks. There will be Heat Assignments to sign up for, judges, and a crowd to help yell you through your tough times. Don’t worry, everyone will be having them – that’s the beauty of it. You get to see your classmates, pals, and coaches workout where the energy is sky high and you don’t want to miss it.
If you are unsure about signing up, ask around your gym and talk to people who have done The Open. If they don’t convince you enough, talk to your coaches. The biggest reason that stops people from signing up is fear. They don’t know what it is, why it is valuable, or why they should even try. There is a separate blog to answer those questions, and you can find it below 🙂
You come to the gym every week, you work hard, and you spend one hour of your day devoted just to you. Why not take a few weeks out of the year and see what you’re made of?
Sign Up Here:
https://games.crossfit.com under your ONE Nation HOME GYM and TEAM
Register under your home AFFILIATE and then AFFILIATE TEAM:
NEEDHAM TEAM NAME: ONE Nation
WALTHAM TEAM NAME: ONE Nation Waltham
BOSTON TEAM NAME: CrossFit Boston
Head Coach of CrossFit ONE Nation Needham – Sam Horenstein – Sam@crossfitonenation.com
Head Coach of CrossFit ONE Nation Waltham – Erika Snyder – Erika@crossfitonenation.com
Head Coach of CrossFit ONE Nation Boston – Lachlan McGonigle- Lachlan@crossfitonenation.com